Friday, March 31, 2017

To Make the Best Better


I grew up in Marshall County, WV, and was a member of 4-H for many years.  If you are not familiar with 4-H, then the following 4-H pledge might help.  

 "I PLEDGE My head to clearer thinking, My heart to greater loyalty, My hands to larger service, My health to better living, For my club, my community, my country, and my world."

Reflecting on the past 30 + years, I realize how these words have affected me throughout my lifetime.   I've obtained a master's degree (head); raised two wonderful, successful kids (heart), worked for some great companies and causes (hands), and maintained a pretty healthy lifestyle (health).

4-H members take on "projects" each year, which can range from sewing to raising sheep.  My first project was cooking 101.  Popcorn and apples was the first task in the project book.  Now please note - I was maybe 9 or 10 years old!  Funny, I still like popcorn for dinner (usually with a glass of wine instead of the apple!)

I also recall making brownies - this being the first lesson in "how to do things better."  After each task, we had to comment on how we could improve.  I learned that there was a way to cut brownies that reduced the number of "defects" - i.e. breakage of the square!

Fast forward to college.  I chose to study Industrial Engineering.  Simply put, I.E.s figure out ways to do things better.  Get the connection?!  I realize now why this theme is so much a part of how I think.

So, if you have ever worked with me you may now understand why I'm constantly trying to come up with a better, more efficient or effective, ways of doing things. It may being annoying to some, but I have a passion for using head, heart, hands, and health to make my small part of the world a better place.

On a final note, the program I graduated from at WVU has evolved to reflect the true spirit of the discipline.  The name is now Industrial and Management Systems Engineering.  As I continue my journey of developing T2 Management Solutions, I hope to continue to apply the skills that 4-H, WVU, and life have taught me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment